The Department of Teacher Education and Outdoor studies
The Department of Teacher Education and Outdoor Studies (DTEOS) is one of four departments at NIH. DTEOS offers a five-year physical education teacher education program (integrated master’s degree), a bachelor’s degree in outdoor education, a one-year supplementary programme in practical pedagogical education, a one-year supplementary programme in adapted physical activity, and a master’s degree in sport pedagogy. DTEOS holds a national responsibility for research on physical education and for physical education teacher education in Norway. Professors and associate professors at the department do 50% research in addition to teaching and supervising while PhD-students and postdoc scholars usually teach 25% as part of a four-year contract.
DTEOS’s ambitions for research on physical education and for our teacher education programs are clear: We will continue to make significant contributions to research on topics related to physical education and physical education teacher education and we will continue to ask critical questions regarding our teacher education programs. In this way we believe that we maintain important quality criteria that keep our study programs and our researchers at the cutting edge of knowledge on human development and learning and thus make our students in demand.
About the position
To strengthen ongoing research and teaching in pedagogy and physical education DTEOS invites applications for a permanent position as Professor in Pedagogy / Developmental Psychology.
According to the core values set out in the Education Act every student in Norwegian public schools should develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes to lead a fulfilling life. Physical Education (PE) has an important part to play in achieving this aim, and this requires PE teachers to provide a holistic and developmentally appropriate experience for every child. To achieve this our department (DTEOS) needs to increase the breadth of our teaching and strengthen our competence in developmental psychology.
The successful candidate will be expected to document extensive research from the field of developmental psychology with pedagogical relevance to PE and PE Teacher Education. We are looking for a professor who has an excellent track record in research designed to help children and youth reach their full potential in general, and in the areas of self-worth, self- perception, resilience, needs satisfaction, and emotional well-being in particular.
Our department seeks an ambitious person who is expected to have strong credentials in the above noted academic disciplines. As an active researcher, the appointee should be engaged in national/international grant applications, scientific publication and dissemination, research-based teaching, development of new courses or contributing to existing courses at all three levels of university education, supervision of students, mentoring of young researchers, and research leadership roles. The professor will have a particular responsibility for developing quality in the five-year physical education teacher education program at the department and for PhD students researching topics based on developmental psychology.
Research related to physical education or physical education teacher education is considered as a great advantage, but not an absolute requirement. However, it will be expected that the successful candidate will start to position themself in the area of physical education research from day one. The successful candidate is expected to both conduct empirical studies and contribute to theoretical development related to physical education and physical education teacher education. Experience from empirical research and quantitative methods is required.
Adequate professional educational competence is a requirement for this position. In addition to basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision, applicants must provide documentary proof of the following: quality development in teaching and supervision, broad supervisory experience and joint professional development of educational quality.
The successful candidate will be expected to have excellent collaborative skills, a positive and motivating attitude, and an open and positive mindset that actively contributes to the infrastructure and the success of the department. For applicants who do not have one of the Scandinavian languages as their native language, oral and written Norwegian language skills must be acquired within a period up to three years to be able to participate actively in all functions associated with the position.
When assessing applicants, emphasis will be placed on:
- Research and experience that are relevant to the position.
- Experience with international research networks and ability to attract external funding and public dissemination of the research
- Experience from teaching and academic supervision at bachelor-, master- and doctoral- levels from the university/college sector
- The applicants interpersonal and communication skills, and individual qualities that can contribute positively to the workplace environment
- Personal suitability and motivation
- Commitment to teaching
In the ranking of applicants, the whole range of qualifications will be considered and assessed, including communication skills and personal suitability for the position.
The position is compensated according to government regulations, code 1013 Professor. Salary by agreement.
- A research and education institution at the highest international level and with excellent facilities
- Creative and collegial working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Advantages within the Government Pension Fund for borrowing, insurance and pension.
After the application period has expired a list of applicants will be published. Note that, in special cases, information about applicants to a position may be made public even though the applicant has requested that their application should be processed confidentially. Applicants requesting an exemption from publication of their details must explain their reasons for doing so in their application. It is up to NIH to determine whether the request shall be approved or not. If it is not approved, the applicant will be notified so that they can withdraw the application.
The person who is appointed must abide by the applicable laws, agreements, and directives. The responsibilities and duties associated with the position may change with future reorganization at NIH.
The public sector workforce is expected to reflect the diversity of the population in general. NIH therefore encourages qualified candidates with disabilities, gaps in their CV, immigrant backgrounds or different life experiences to apply for the position. NIH practices moderate allocation according to gender quotas as per the Basic Agreement for State Employees. If applicants indicate that they have disabilities or gaps in their CV, their details may be used anonymously for the purposes of governmental annual review.
Interested applicants are advised to contact the academic community in preparing the application. Further details can be obtained by contacting:
- Head of Department: Professor Reidar Säfvenbom, tel. +47 23 26 24 25 / +47 93 03 95 06
- Contact administration: HR advisor Jan Wangen, tel. +47 414 13 035
Applicants will be evaluated by an expert committee. Short-listed applicants will be called for interview(s) and a trial lecture.
The electronic application must contain:
- Cover letter, including a description of research plans for a 5-year period, focusing on the areas of research mentioned in the announcement text
- Complete CV summarizing education, positions held, teaching and research experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities
- A complete list of scientific publications with information about where they have been published, the impact factor and the number of citations. The list should include up to 10 publications (pdfs to be submitted) that the applicant believes to be most important, along with a statement indicating their relevance to the announced position
- Documentation of other activities which the applicant considers relevant to the position and wants to be considered in the assessment. Copies of diplomas, transcripts and certificates
- Contact information for 2-3 referees
- All documentation to be considered is to be uploaded as attachments to the application. Complete documentation in electronic form must be submitted by the closing date for the application.
Deadline for applications
The application deadline is 14th of Februay 2022. Applications recieved after this date will not be considered.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB