SMA welcomes the submission of abstracts for the 17th SMA Annual Conference. We’re please to announce this year’s conference will be held at Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile the week of November 6-8, 2019. To submit your abstract, please read and follow the submission guidelines below (or you may download this year’s Call for Papers by following this link here).
- Authors may submit abstracts for one of the following categories:
- Oral presentation (25 minutes, including questions)
- Panel discussion, symposium, or roundtable (75 minutes)
- Poster presentation
Authors should submit abstract(s) under one of two categories:
- Student (Authors must be current students; any professionals can only be on paper as advisor.)
Submissions can be conceptual or empirical in nature, and do not need to be completed at the time of submission. However, for any work in progress, there needs to be assurances that the research will be completed in time for the conference presentation, should it be accepted.
To be considered for the prestigious award of SMA Conference Best Professional Paper, studies will need to have been completed at the time of submission. Furthermore, to be considered for the SMA Conference Best Student Paper award, abstracts may feature only one student author and up to one professional author who must be clearly identified as an advisor.
Authors should be mindful of the following key dates when preparing and submitting their abstracts (please note that official submissions are effective as of this announcement provided authors abide by the guidelines provided:
- Submission Deadline: April 5, 2019 (11:59 PM, PST)
- Notice of Acceptance: May 27, 2019 (11:59 PM, PST)
Submissions must conform to format instructions. Please keep an exact version for future reference. Submissions will be subjected to blind peer review. Authors will be notified of acceptance, rejection, or suggested modifications as soon as the review process is completed. Please see key dates below for submission and revision deadlines. It is a condition of acceptance that at least one author attend the conference and present the research.
ONLINE SUBMISSION PROCESS
This year, SMA will be continuing its online submission process. A direct link to the submission portal can be found here: SMA Abstract Submission. Please note abstracts will only be accepted via the online submission portal. After the abstract submission deadline, April 5, 2019 (11:59 PM, PST), the online submission portal will no longer be open, and abstracts will no longer be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: Within the submission portal, authors will be asked to upload their abstract as a Microsoft Word document (.docx). Please ensure within the abstract you include the abstract title, but exclude all personal identifiers. That is, the abstract body should not include author name(s) and/or affiliation(s). Below are bulleted instructions detailing the correct format for abstract files:
- Each abstract should be no longer than 1,000 words, excluding references.
- Times New Roman; 12-point font
- 8.5 x 11-inch page size; 1-inch margins on all sides
- Include text only; figures and tables not acceptable
- APA Style (6th edition)
- Files should be named using the name of the first author such that the abstract is named LAST_FIRST_ABSTRACT.docx. In the event a first author is submitting more than one abstract, additional files for further submission should be attached and named as follows: LAST_FIRST_ABSTRACT 2.docx.
As you enter the online submission portal, please be prepared to have the following on hand:
- Abstract document (adhering to the above instructions)
- Presentation title; presentation type (oral, poster, panel, symposium, or roundtable); author status (professional or student); presentation keywords; author information for submission purposes (names, affiliations, and emails for all authors)
NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS
There is a strict limit of two (2) presentations per listed author regardless of co-authorship or type of presentation. An exception to this limit will be granted to advisors to current students, in which case advisor positions must be clearly designated in the author section of the submission. Please note that, in order to submit two abstracts, authors will have to enter the online submission portal two separate times (i.e., the online portal will only allow for one submission at a time).
The reviewers for the SMA Annual Conference will judge all abstract submissions on the basis of their contributions to the development and advancement of theory or practice in the field of sport marketing. All submissions will undergo a double-blind review and will be judged on their overall quality and contribution to the SMA Annual Conference.
Abstract submissions should not be concurrently submitted for consideration to another conference and must not have been previously presented at another conference. In addition, submissions should not be of work published or in press prior to the abstract deadline (April 5, 2019, 11:59 PM, PST).
This year’s conference will be held at the Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile. Information about the hotel and the surrounding area can be found by clicking here. To make a reservation today, using the SMA reduced discount rate by clicking here.
Questions or comments regarding the abstract submission process can be emailed directly to Dr. Brandon Brown, Vice President of Academic Affairs for the SMA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.