The Young Arcadians by Robert Gemmell Hutchison, bequest of Mrs Ann Laidlaw 1979. National Galleries of ScotlandPresented by the British Society of Sports History, Scottish Network and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery
This one-day conference will examine the history/histories of tourism and leisure during the summer months in Scotland. Suggested paper topics might include (but are not limited to):
- Holidays on the Scottish coast
- Literary interpretations of the Scottish summer
- Tourism from outwith Scotland
- The family during Scottish summer holidays
- Transport and Scottish tourism
- Labour and the tourist economy
- Sport and tourism during the Scottish summer
- Outdoor education/fraternalism during the summer months
- Food and drink during the holidays.
Abstracts should be no longer than 200 words, and should be sent by Friday, 30 January to both Imogen Gibbon (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Matthew McDowell (email@example.com). Any queries should also be sent to Imogen or Matthew.
As BSSH Scotland does not typically receive institutional support for its events, a £15 fee will be charged by the conference organisers for attendance.
Keep your eyes open for the call for papers for The Scottish Winter, a companion conference being held in Perth on 6 December 2017!