From ancient times until today, athletes have been considered as the main protagonists of the sport system. The proposed special issue focuses on this topic by analyzing various facets of this role ascribed to, and sought by, athletes, especially those in the orbit of the Olympic movement, including the Paralympics, Youth Olympic Games and Special Olympics. Possible research perspectives could address the following topics:
- Institutional representation of athletes in national and international governing bodies of sport;
- The dynamic between the media and athletes;
- Athletes as role models;
- The entourage of athletes;
- Dual career paths for athletes; and
- Discrimination toward, and protests by, athletes.
It is expected that all papers will adopt an appropriate historical and/or biographical methodology and we invite submissions related to these and other fields of research relevant to the theme of the special issue.
- The paper should not exceed a maximum of 8,000 words, including references.
- Please nominate ‘The Athlete’s Voice in History’ as the preferred special issue destination for the paper when submitting details via ScholarOne.
- All submissions will be subject to double-blind peer-review and must strictly adhere to the journal’s style guide.
- The expected publication date for the special issue is mid- to late-2021.
- Please read these instructions for authors.