The year 2022 marks the 50th Anniversary of the first meeting of the North American Society for Sport History (NASSH) held in 1973 at The Ohio State University. A 50th anniversary issue of the Journal of Sport History will take stock of the field of sport history, highlighting the history of NASSH and proposed future directions of the organization and the field.
We invite scholars of all career stages to submit paper proposals that discuss the history, present, and/or future of NASSH and/or the field of sport history. Topics for this special issue could include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Histories of NASSH and/or the field of sport history
- Critical reflections on NASSH and/or the field of sport history
- Important or challenging moments in NASSH and/or the field of sport history
- The role of NASSH and sport historians in the fields of critical race studies, gender, history, management, sociology, and others.
- Unsettling the Whiteness of NASSH and/or the field of sport history
- The place of NASSH and/or sport history in higher education
- Future directions of NASSH and/or the field of sport history
We invite the formal submission of 500 word abstracts to Lindsay Pieper firstname.lastname@example.org before July 31, 2020. Notification of the acceptance of abstracts for the special issue will be provided by August 7, 2020 and full papers must then be submitted before December 15, 2020.
Please note that for this particular special issue, papers should be limited to a maximum of 8,000 words, inclusive of notes. All submitted papers will undergo double-blind peer-review and must be revised according to feedback from the reviewers and, where necessary, the comments from Guest Editors. It is expected that the special issue will be published in early 2022.