Passing the Ball: Race and Sports Conference is an annual event that aims to improve the sports industry and the areas of American life it affects by critically examining and discussing the major issues that surround the intersections of race and sport; educating attendees on the prevalent racial problems that exist in the sporting industries; and developing ways to eliminate racial discrimination and enhance racial equality in sports.
The conference is multidisciplinary by working with various disciplines and practitioners to address racial issues in sports. This forum is for anyone who shares an interest in—and concern for— the cultural, economic and social issues present at the intersection of race and sports.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Sports Activism.” We welcome proposals for papers including and related to the following topics:
Sports, Social Activism, and Racial Equality: Past, Present, and Future
- Sports Activists Reflections and
- Athlete Feminism/Womanism (sports activism for Black/Brown women’s rights including Patriarchy and violence in sports culture
- Sports as “weapons of mass distraction” (sports impact on political activism)
- Decolonialization and Sports
- Sports Activism in High School and College Athletics (including Labor/Compensation for College Athletes)
- The Sports to Prison Pipeline
Paper proposals must have the following components:
- Title of Proposal
- Abstract: A concise description of the purpose, methods, and implications of your scholarly work. Maximum 250 words.
- Keywords: provide keywords that clearly describe the main idea of your work. Maximum 5 keywords.
- Biographical Information: organization or institution, position or title within the organization/institution, short statement of interests.
- Language: Please note that all proposals and presentations must be in English.
Submission deadline: Proposals must be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line “Call for Papers” no later than 12:00PM Friday, January 24, 2014.
The 2014 conference will be held at Temple University on April 11-12, 2014 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and is hosted by Race and Sports scholar, Drew Brown, in conjunction with The Department of African American Studies and consists of panel discussions, book signings, and an awards ceremony. For more information, visits the conference website, www.passingtheball.org.
We hope to see you in attendance