The British Society of Sports History, Scottish Network, is pleased to invite you to ‘Histories of Cross-Border Sport in Scotland and England’, our annual one-day symposium, this year at the Robert Burns Centre in Dumfries.
Suggested paper topics might include (but are not limited to):
- The South of Scotland, the North of England, and civic, ‘regional’, and ‘national’ identities
- Sport, gender, and work in the region
- Cross-Border sporting events, competitions, and leagues
- Sport, environment, and agriculture
- Biographies of sportspeople and sporting ‘heroes’
Papers from emerging scholars, community historians, as well as museum and heritage practitioners, would be particularly welcome.
Our keynote address will be given by Professor Tony Collins, International Centre for Sports History and Culture, De Montfort University, who will be discussing: ‘Rugby in the Borders and at the Borders’.
Abstracts should be no longer than 200 words, and should be sent to BSSH Scotland (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Sunday, 13 September, along with any other queries.