8th Annual Conference, Liverpool John Moores University, 21 – 22 February 2014
Sport and the Politics of Exclusion
- Andy Burnham MP (Shadow Secretary of State for Health): Title tbc
- Maurice Roche (Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Sheffield): Mega-Events, Globalisation and Development: BRICS and major sport events in the contemporary period
Call for papers
This is the 8th annual conference of the UK Political Studies Association’s sport and politics specialist study group. The broad theme of the conference is ‘Sport and the politics of exclusion’. We welcome proposals for papers/panels that address the following sub-themes:
- Sport and cultural exclusions
- Sport politics and policy
- Criminologies of sport
- Sport and activism/social movements
- Sports mega events
- Volunteering in sport
- Sport provisions in public and private settings
- Sport in an age of austerity
Please send abstracts of no more than 250 words to conference organizer Dr Peter Millward, P.Millward@ljmu.ac.uk , by 13 December 2013. We welcome submissions from postgraduate students.
- PSA members: On the day: £50 (waged member of staff), £25 (non-waged, student); Before 20 Feb: £40 (waged member of staff), £20 (non-waged/student).
- Non-PSA members: On the day: £80 (waged member of staff), £40 (non-waged, student); Before 20 Feb: £70 (waged member of staff), £30 (non-waged/student).
Conference fees include lunch and refreshments, though do not include accommodation or conference dinner (to be held on evening of 21 February).
Pre-payment should be sent by cash or cheque made out to ‘PSA Sport and Politics Group’ and sent to Dr Russell Holden, 5 Berthwin Street, Pontcanna, Cardiff, CF11 9JH.
Local accommodation options and prices will be circulated on confirmation of attendance.