The list below was compiled by Dr. Dominique Falls, Department of Sociology & Anthropology, Simon Fraser University, assisted by various members of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS) listserv. Following the ”publication” of the list on the list, as it were, a few more suggestions were posted, they’re added at the end.
Too fast to be a woman (2012) – (Not sure)
- Trans athletes, Caster Semenya
Wrestling with Manhood (2003) – (Libraries?)
- Masculinity, Bullying
The Life of Million Dollar Babies (2008) – (Amazon.com)
- Women’s boxing
The Code (2010) – (Available on CBC Fifth Estate online player)
- Fighting in professional hockey, masculinity
Murderball (2005) – (Libraries)
- Wheelchair rubgy, masculinity
100% Woman – (2004) – (Libraries)
- Professional mountain biking, trans-athletes
Not Just a Game – (2010) – (Libraries)
- Social cultural significance of sport
Out: The Glenn Burke Story (2010) (Not sure where to find a copy)
- Baseball, first and only openly gay athlete in American team sports
Playing Unfair – (Libraries)
- Post-Title IX media landscape in terms of the representation of female athletes.
Tough Guise 1 and 2 – (Libraries)
- Masculinity, American culture, Violence
ESPN Nine for IX Series (Online)
- Broad topics, Title IX
Training Rules (2009) – (Libraries)
- Homophobia, College sports, Penn State
Strong: Lift like a Girl (2012) – (ITunes)
- Weightlifting, women, bodies
Footy Chicks (2006) [Australia, R. Barry] – (Couldn’t find a copy)
- Football (soccer), sex
Code of Silence (2009) [Australia, Four Corners] – Available on Youtube in four parts
- Sexual abuse allegations in Australian Rugby League
Out in the line up (2014) – Can be rented on Vimeo for one month streaming
- Surfing, homophobia
Off the Rez (2011) – (Itunes, Amazon.com)
- Native American women, basketball, scholarships
Happy Valley (2014) – (Libraries)
- Organizational culture, Penn State child sex abuse charges
- Young girls, skateboarding
A Knock out (2004)
- Women’s boxing, Race, Sexuality, media
- RE the availability of a particular film in the sport, gender and sexuality doco list ‘Footy Chicks’ is available on the SBS website.
- An older “classic” is Spy in the House that Ruth Built (1989).
- Dare to Dream: The Story of the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team (2005). Produced by HBO Sports.
- Everyone can access the Tucker Center’s documentary, “Media Coverage and Female Athletes.” This film won the 2014 Upper Midwest Emmy for best Sports Documentary.
- Other gender-related films that may be useful for class purposes and come with downloadable discussion guides are the espnW Nine for IX films. You can request a free set of all nine films at Nine for IX Knowledge Center at this link.
- Here is a collection of YouTube videos that CAAWS has posted on their website. The first one is my personal favorite:
- I would also like to suggest that Rocky, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV and Rocky V are useful for studying masculinity in sport.