The Finnish Society for Sports History, The Finnish Society of Sport Sciences, The Department of History and Ethnology and the Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences jointly organize the Ski Congress 2017 at the University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 1st–4th of March, 2017.
We invite to the Congress researchers and scholars to discuss and analyze the international relations of skiing, its societal significance and impact on human physical and mental well-being. We want to touch upon the climatic moments and sore points which skiing has brought about.
We understand skiing as multi-faceted outdoor recreation which includes all traditional winter sports in skiing as well as ways to move and exercise on skis, including skiing tourism.
History is the main field of study in the Congress but we want to approach winter sports and recreation multi-scientifically. Along with historians we expect that representatives of ethnology, physical education, museology, sociology and media sciences among others answer our call as we aim at encompassing the Congress thematic from past to the future.
The Congress languages are English and Finnish.
Concerning the Congress programme: On the 1st of March we share the opening ceremony and enjoy the welcome reception. The 2nd and 3rd of March are reserved for the scientific programme. On the 4th of March there is a possibility to join an excursion to the World Championships of Skiing in Lahti. One can also visit the Lahti Museum for Skiing there.
We ask all interested to send the abstracts of their presentations (one A4) to Congress Secretary Piia Pöyhönen the 31st of October the latest.
The scientific committee of the Congress is composed of Professor Hannu Itkonen, Docent Heikki Roiko-Jokela, Docent Anssi Halmesvirta, Dr Jari Kanerva, Dr Arja Turunen and Ph.D. Antero Holmila from the University of Jyväskylä.
Ski Congress 2017 Jyväskylä shall edit Congress proceedings from selected presentations. Notification to authors of acceptance of abstract will be send the 30 th of November the latest. We ask the authors to send in a written summary of c. 12.000 bytes.
The Patron for Ski Congress 2017 is the International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sport (ISHPES).
Wednesday 1th of March 2017
17.00─17.30 Opening Ceremony
17.30─18.30 Keynote Session 1
19.00─ Opening Reception
Thursday 2nd of March 2017
9.00─10.00 Keynote Session 2
10.00─10.30 Coffee/Tea Break
10.30─12.00 Parallel Sessions 1 & 2
13.30─15.00 Parallel Sessions 3 & 4
15.00─15.30 Coffee/Tea Break
15.30─17.00 Parallel Sessions 5 & 6
19.00─23.00 Congress Dinner
Friday 3rd of March 2017
9.00─10.00 Keynote Session 3
10.00─10.30 Coffee/Tea break
10.30─12.00 Parallel Sessions 7 & 8
13.30─15.00 Parallel Sessions 9 & 10/Poster Sessions
15.00─15.30 Coffee/Tea Break
15.30─17.00 Keynote Session 4 and Closing Ceremony
Saturday 4th of Mach 2017
Excursion to Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
- August 2016 1st Announcement for abstract submission (submission opens)
- 31st of October 2016 Abstract submission closes.
- 30th of November 2016 Notification to authors of acceptance of abstract
- 10th of February 2017 Registration closes
- 1st‒4th of March 2017 Ski Congress 2017
- 220 € Conference fee and excursion to Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships
- 190 € Conference fee and excursion to Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships (Members of SUHS:n & LTS)
- 170 € Student conference fee and excursion to Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships (Master students)
- 160 € Conference fee
- 130 € Conference fee (Members of SUHS & LTS)
- 110 € Student conference fee (Master students)
The congress fee includes access to conference presentations and materials, opening reception, lunches, coffees and conference dinner.
The excursion fee to Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships includes, the trip Jyväskylä-Lahti-Jyväskylä, ticket to competition 1 (CC Ladies 30 km Free and Men Team Competition HS130) and a visit to Lahti Ski Museum.
Accommodation and travelling costs are not included in the conference fees. Further details on accommodation options can be found below.
Registration to Ski Congress 2017 is open and closes the 10th of February 2017.
Register here: http://www.lts.fi/ski-congress-1-432017
In the case of cancellation, the registration fee is refundable with following conditions:
- Cancellation made before the 13th of February, the refund is 100 % of the fee.
- Cancellation made after the 13th of February 2017, the fee is not refundable.
- Cancellation is made to Linda Raivio (linda.raivio(at)lts.fi).
The conference venue is the H-building at the University of Jyväskylä.
The Address is Seminaarinkatu 15, 40100 Jyväskylä
The opening ceremony will take place at the H-building of University of Jyväskylä Campus on Wednesday the 1st of March 2017 from 17.00 o’clock.
The Congress Dinner will be on Thursday the 2nd of March 2017 from 19.00 o’clock. The place will be announced later.
Accommodation and travel arrangements
Conference participants are responsible for reserving their own hotel accommodation. We recommend that all participants reserve their hotel accommodation as soon as possible. Information about this is available in the attached portable data file. In it is included information about how to travel to Jyväskylä.
- The Finnish Society for Sport History
- The Finnish Society of Sports Sciences
- University of Jyväskylä, Department of History and Ethnology
- University of Jyväskylä, Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences
Links to the websites
- University of Jyväskylä: https://www.jyu.fi/en
- Ski Museum: http://www.lahdenmuseot.fi/museot/en/ski-museum/
- Lahti2017 FIS Nordic World Ski Championships: http://www.lahti2017.fi/en
- The Finnish Society for Sport History: http://www.suhs.fi/welcome/
- The Finnish Society of Sports Sciences: http://www.sportscience.fi/