The International Association for Communication and Sport (IACS) invites you to submit your work for a presentation or panel discussion for the 2022 Summit on Communication and Sport. The IACS Summit is the only stand-alone conference for communication researchers interested in exploring sport from diverse critical, methodological, theoretical, and multi-disciplinary perspectives. The Summit welcomes submissions from all methodological and theoretical perspectives. This year’s Summit will be hosted by Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey, USA, with special events taking place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, October 15, 2021. The submission site is https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iacs2022.
- Evaluation: All submissions will be evaluated through an anonymous peer review process.
- Decision Deadline: Author(s) will receive email notification regarding the outcome of their submission on approximately Friday, December 10, 2021.
- Author Limits: A maximum of two (2) submissions in total (papers, panels, or one of each) from a single author will be considered for presentation, regardless of authororder.
- Session Information: Research and panel sessions are one hour and fifteen minutes long. Research sessions will be constructed to allow for at least 15 minutes of discussion following the presentation.
- Scholars interested in submitting to the 2022 Summit have two options: (1) an extended abstract submission; or (2) a panel discussion submission.
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference. The following paper categories are welcome:
- Abstract submissions may not exceed 500 words (excluding references) in length and should be prepared for anonymous peer review (clear of any identifying information about theauthor(s).
- Panel discussions must focus on a clearly defined theme suitable for an interactive discussion format. Submissions must include a title, a description of up to 250 words explaining the focus and rationale, and a list of all panelists’ institutional or professional affiliation.
- Top Student Paper: IACS will recognize the Top Student Paper submitted to the For award consideration, a full-length manuscript must be submitted to the review committee by Friday, January 28, 2022. Students must submit an abstract of their work at the October deadline. Recognition of Top Student Paper will be determined by anonymous peer review of the submission. Papers for consideration must be solely authored by the student(s).
- Review Information: There is only one extended abstract submission – there will not be separate review criteria for works-in-progress and completed papers. All should be submitted as extended abstracts and will be judged using the same criteria.
- Reviewers will be selected from self-nomination through the submission process. Reviewers must have, at minimum, a completed master’s degree, and have knowledge in the academic disciplines of communication and sport. Reviewers must identify their area of reviewing expertise (quantitative methodology, qualitative methodology, mixed methods,rhetorical/critical).
- All research submissions will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of thesis; definition of problem
- Theoretical perspective
- Background; review of the literature
- Research questions/hypotheses and/or rhetorical argument
- Appropriateness of methodology
- Submission Agreement: By submitting an abstract or panel to the 2022 Summit on Communication and Sport, you understand that your submission enters you into an obligation to attend the Summit. At least one author listed on the paper must attend the Summit. If you cannot be there to present, it is your responsibility to secure one of your other authors to present your work. Please be conscientious that last-minute cancellations prevent others from being invited to the Summit to present their work.
- COVID-19: The IACS Board of Directors, Program Committee, and organizing team at Rowan University will continue to monitor safety guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic. Limited opportunities for virtual presentations will be provided to international travelers unable to attend due to travel restrictions or presenters unable to travel for medical reasons. Should global travel be restricted due to COVID-19, the conference will pivot to an online platform, similar to what was used in 2021.
- Evan Frederick, Chair IACS
- Angela Pratt, Vice-Chair IACS
- Karen Hartman, Executive Director IACS
For conference events inquiries, please contact Dr. Karen Hartman email@example.com.
All questions about submissions should be emailed to Dr. Evan Frederick firstname.lastname@example.org.