- Tommy Langseth, University of South-Eastern Norway
- Heidi Stavrum, University of South-Eastern Norway
- Ingvar Haukland, University of South-Eastern Norway
- Richard Giulianotti, Loughborough University
This special issue explores the relationship between leisure, sustainability, and power. Sustainability in different forms is now part of leisure activities for organizers, developers, consumers, and leisure-practitioners. However, the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals are both contested and vague, so that their implementation, and how they appear in everyday leisure life, is largely left to organizations and participants themselves. Power relations are central to the ways in which sustainability in leisure is defined, implemented, experienced, and contested. Hence, there is a need for studies that address the complex interrelationships between leisure, sustainability, and power.
The special issue invites contributions that may draw upon a full range of theoretical and methodological approaches, and with an empirical or conceptual focus. In addition to articles discussing familiar leisure activities such as tourism, sport, outdoor life, arts and culture, recreation and entertainment we are also interested in studies that open the field of leisure studies to new practices and activities.
Empirical and conceptual papers are invited. We welcome proposals for full papers (8000 words) and research notes (3000 words). Submissions may include, but are not limited to:
- How power is manifested in relation to sustainability and leisure;
- How sustainability is defined within organizations;
- Which individuals, groups and organizations exert influence over the sustainability agenda in leisure;
- How leisure participants respond to the sustainability strategies of organizations;
- Sociocultural, economic, and political drivers towards unsustainability and greenwashing in leisure.
Submission of a 250-word abstract to Tommy.Langseth@usn.no by February 15, 2023. Full paper submission: October 1, 2023. Instructions for authors: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=ranz20