The World Association for Sport Management (WASM) is pleased to announce its fourth conference to be held in Doha Qatar, from March 19-22, 2022, co-hosted by Qatar University (QU) and Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU). The conference theme “Bringing the World Together: Global and Local Perspectives on Sport Management” will bring together students, scholars, practitioners, and professionals from around the world to share expertise and knowledge about the global sport business industry. The conference focuses on sport business practices, issues, networking, collaborations, management, and marketing of global sport business after the COVID-19 pandemic, which offers a platform for the international exchange of ideas, best practices, and scientific inquiries. With sport being a microcosm of our society, the conference will serve as a platform to advance research aimed at solving our critical challenges. The exploration of themes will provide new insights and inspire inter- and cross-disciplinary, and cross-national and cross-regional collaborations that will inspire the future of sport management. WASM invites presentations oriented around, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Rising up from the COVID-19 pandemic through promoting global sport business
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the global sport industry
- Sport event management in the post-pandemic era
- Managing sport organizations to be better prepared for taking on new risks and adjusting to new norms
- International understanding about the global sport business marketplace
- International relations in the global sport business marketplace
- Country/regional collaboration in the global sport business marketplace
- Challenges in the global sport business marketplace
- Sport management education approaches and the global sport business industry
- Development of the sport industry in a global sport business marketplace
- Culture in a global sport business marketplace
- Legal systems in a global sport business marketplace
- Governance and policy of sport in the global sport business marketplace
- Financial issues in a global sport business marketplace
- Sport marketing in a global sport business marketplace
- Social media and marketing in a global sport business marketplace
- Human diversity and sport in the global sport business marketplace
- Participation sport in a global sport business marketplace
- The sporting goods industry in the global sport business marketplace
- Growth of disability sport in a global sport business marketplace
- Sport tourism and the global sport business marketplace
- Hospitality and sport in the global sport business marketplace
- The sport business management professor and a global sport business marketplace
- The sport business management student and a global sport business marketplace
- Sport industry segments – motor sports, water sports, and all others – in the global sport business marketplace
There are several types of presentation possibilities, including but not limited to the following:
- Research Oral Presentation in English or Arabic of 25 minutes
- Professional Practice Oral Presentation in English or Arabic of 25 minutes
- Lightning Talk Presentation in English or Arabic of 10 minutes
- Poster Presentation in English or Arabic
- Scholarly or Professional Panel Discussion, Debate, Q&A, Workshop, or Symposium in English or Arabic of 60 minutes
All efforts and plans are to have the conference offered completely in person and onsite. With the advanced development and steady implementation of vaccines and medical procedures for addressing the COVID-19 pandemic and treating related illness, it is expected that by late 2021, it will be safe for people to make plans to travel to the conference. Nonetheless, if the health environment still cannot meet the conference safety standards by that time, the WASM Executive Committee, host universities, and WASM Scientific Committee will work collaboratively to come up with an alternative solution.
The submission should contain a title, author(s), institutional or business affiliation of each author with an associated email address, presentation type, and an abstract of the proposed presentation. The abstract should be up to 500 words maximum and contain a full description of the topic providing an introduction, review of literature, theoretical framework, results (if the study is complete), and discussion, and references. Figures and tables should not be included in the abstract unless considered essential.
The Lightning Talk, unlike traditional oral and poster presentations, is a presentation format where presenters show 20 images, each for 20 seconds (for a total of 6-minutes 40 seconds), followed by 3 minutes of Q&A. The images advance automatically, and presenters talk to the images. A lightning talk is particularly feasible for new ideas, emerging research, novice or exploratory scholarship, and/or research critiques. To learn more about the meaning, definition, and format of lightning talks, please see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fYseU02fw
For a Scholarly or Professional Symposium, the submission of one general abstract of 250 words maximum about the entire symposium is required, with three to six additional abstracts of specific presentations of 250 words maximum for each abstract within the symposium. If the submission is for a panel discussion, debate, Q&A, or workshop, the abstract should contain a title, author(s), institutional or business affiliation of each author with an associated email, purpose and aims of the session, full description of the session, who will benefit, and any other pertinent information. Questions and procedures need to be clearly specified for a proposed debate or Q&A session, and all the individuals involved in the sessions need to be listed.
Language of Abstract: The main language for abstract submissions will be English; however, a section of the conference program will be reserved for Arabic language and Arabic abstract submissions will be permitted for this section accordingly.
Professional Ethics: All abstracts submitted shall be original work and shall not be work that has been published, presented or copyrighted elsewhere. Submitted abstracts should not be concurrently under review at another conference.
Deadline and Link for Submission of Abstract: September 30, 2021. All abstracts must be submitted online. Specific instructions for the submission process are posted at https://www.hbku.edu.qa/en/WASM2022
Review Process: All submissions will be evaluated through a blind review process. Authors will be notified of a decision on or near November 1, 2021.
Further Considerations: Upon acceptance of an abstract, a minimum of one author must attend the WASM conference and deliver the presentation according to the scheduled day and time. The WASM organization and the conference organizer may have other requirements for delivering the presentation. Should an author not comply with the requirements, the program chair or conference organizer reserves the right to remove the abstract and/or presentation from the conference schedule and/or conference book of abstracts. All accepted abstracts have the potential to be published in the WASM conference abstract book, assuming that all other considerations have been met.
Conference Scientific Committee Contact
For more information about conference programming, please feel free to contact the 2022 WASM Conference Program Co-Chairs: