We are delighted to announce that Leon Mann, founder of the Black Collective of Media in Sport, will be delivering the keynote speech at Sports Media Identity Network Conference #3: The Representation of Race in Sports Journalism and Media.
Organised by the Sports Media Identity Network, the one-day conference, will take place on Friday, 30th June 2023 at Sheffield Hallam University and will provide a platform for the mutual exchange of knowledge and insights between scholars from a range of disciplines and media and sport practitioners and stakeholders. The event is FREE but you must register as places are limited. You can do so here.
- Leon Mann, founder of the Black Collective of Media in Sport
- Júlia Belas Trindade, freelance football writer and regular contributor to the Guardian’s women’s football newsletter, Moving the Goalposts
- Brian Deane, patron Show Racism the Red Card & former England footballer
- Dr Dan Kilvington, Leeds Becket University & founder of Tackling Online Hate in Football
- Dr Max Mauro, Bournemouth University: Contrasting media representations of race and national identity: the case of England and Italy at the UEFA Euro 2020
- Dr Gurvinder Aujla-Sidhu, University of Derby & Dr Melanie Crofts, De Montfort University: Addressing the racism deficit in sports journalism skills
- Dr Jack Black, Sheffield Hallam University: Laundered Hate: Euro 2020 and the Mainstreaming of Alt-Right Conspiracies on Twitter
- Dr Michael Skey, Loughborough University & Dr Joost Jansen, Erasmus University Rotterdam: “Are there no more English men on the England national team? Sad”: The value of adopting an intersectional lens to study discrimination in relation to media sport
[Please note that the programme published on the website and highlighted in this email should be considered provisional. Every effort will be made to minimise changes, but unavoidable scheduling requirements can necessitate changes to the participation of speakers that are beyond our control].