This special issue of the World Leisure Journal will address leisure and aging internationally. While free time itself may have changed with the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, leisure behaviors and patterns have also shifted dramatically. We have seen a drastic reduction to leisure, with the pandemic affecting everything from international travel to opportunities for connection that typically occur in social leisure spaces. However, interesting patterns of self-expression and health-protective activities have also emerged. Arguably, the need for leisure as a means to cope with difficult circumstances and negative life events has never been greater. This point is especially relevant in the lives of older adults who are particularly vulnerable to the effects of the disease. For example, the isolation requirements imposed on older adults residing in long-term care homes tend to exacerbate feelings of loneliness and depression. Community dwelling older adults are also experiencing the effects of isolation. This special issue invites empirical research (both qualitative and quantitative) and systematic reviews. Examples of evidence-based and promising practice pertaining to leisure and aging are also encouraged. All submissions will be peer-reviewed.
Examples of topics for this special issue include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leisure, Aging and Mental Health
- Sports and Physical Activities in Later Life
- Leisure in Coping with Disability and Illness in Later Life
- Culture, Gender and other Differentiating Factors in Later Life Leisure
- Retirement and Leisure
- Life transitions and leisure
- Grand parenting and family leisure
- Volunteerism and civic engagement
- Later Life Tourism
- Variations in Work and Leisure Experiences in Later Life
Potential authors should submit a 150 word abstract via email to the guest editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 21, 2020 to assure topics fit the special issue. Article Due Date is January 25, 2021, and publication date (Approximate) is Volume 63, Issue 3, 2021.
Manuscript Submission Procedure
Submit online via Manuscript Central: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/rwle. Please select ‘manuscript type’ as special issue paper.
The complete style and reference guide can be found at: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=rwle20#style or in the back cover of recent issues of the Journal. In brief:
- All manuscripts must be in English and must not exceed 9000 words all inclusive. Manuscripts that exceed this limit will not be reviewed.
- Manuscripts must be double spaced in 12 pt Times New Roman.
- Manuscripts must adhere to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA, 7th edition).
- Manuscripts should be submitted as doc or docx formats.