Welcome to idrottsforum.org’s weekly newsletter! We’ll try this new format for a few weeks to see how it works out and hopefully get some feedback from our subscribers.
Last week offered a painful reminder of how vulnerable we are to disruptions in access to the World Wide Web. What happened was that at midnight last Monday, we were cut off from the Web due to a glitch in the introduction of optical fiber for Internet access in the building that houses the editorial offices of idrottsforum.org. It took until Friday noon to get this sorted, and during that time we had to resort to the 4G broadband in our smart phones to connect to the virtual world, which slowed us down considerably.
We’re all right now, though, and we’ll be very busy in the coming week(s) to compensate for the limited offering that is presented below (language and publication dates, YYMMDD, in brackets). As usual, click on section headings to go to content. Utilize the Google Translate service to turn Scandinavian language pages into (some sort of) English.
Have a great week,
The clash between traditional sport structures and new, emerging activities: Sportification of esports and padel in Sweden, through the perspectives of institutionalization and standardization.
Based on their Master’s thesis, the article “The clash between traditional sport structures and new, emerging activities: Sportification of esports and padel in Sweden, through the perspectives of institutionalization and standardization” by Erik Demi and Jurgen Aarden studies esports and padel from the perspective of new sporting activities and their potential for developing into established sports, which in the Swedish context means being admitted into the Swedish Sports Confederation, the ultimate umbrella organization for sports in Sweden. (ENG 220401
Historicizing Machoism in Swedish Ice Hockey: A Summary
In this feature, Daniel Alsarve summarizes his article in The International Journal of the History of Sport, in which he presents the findings from a study of the macho culture that pervades (male) ice hockey nationally (and internationally). Utilising a variety of methods and sources, the author identifies four themes within the masculine ice hockey culture, on the basis of which he concludes that the culture is both stable and complex, but its consequences are not wholly negative. (ENG 220329
Hockeyns heraldik: Klubbmärkenas historia by Leonard Jägerskiöld Velander
Från lönnlövet i Toronto Maple Leafs till färgerna i Djurgårdsskölden, bakom klubbmärkenas symbolik ruvar en historia, en berättelse om identitet. I Hockeyns heraldik: Klubbmärkenas historia (Modernista) förklarar Leonard Jägerskiöld Velander varför de största klubbarnas emblem ser ut som de gör. Vi bad hockeyhistorikern Tobias Stark läsa boken om klubbmärkena och deras historia, och han blev glatt överraskad av att en synbar coffee table-bok i själva verket var något mycket mer. (SWE 220330)
(We rely heavily on journal publishers delivering on their promises of new issue alerts. Sometimes they don’t.)
- Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Vol. 14, 2022, No. 2 (220327)
- Sports, Volume 10, 2022, Issue 2 (220327)
- Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Volume 34, 2022, Issue 2 (220327)
- American Journal of Health Education, Volume 53, 2022, Issue 2 (220327)
- Journal of Global Sport Management, Volume 7, 2022, issue 1 (220327)
- Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, Vol 32, 2022, Issue 1 (220328)
- The Sport Psychologist, Volume 36, 2022, Issue 1 (220328)
- Journal of Sports Economics, Vol. 23, 2022, No. 2 (220328)
- World Leisure Journal, Volume 64, 2022, Issue 1 (220328)
- Journal of Sports Economics, Vol. 23, 2022, No. 3 (220329)
- International Journal of Sport Communication, Volume 15, 2022, No. 1 (220330)
- Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, Volume 27, 2022, Issue 2 | Mixed methods in intervention sciences in Physical Education: a heuristic enrichment or a weakening of frameworks?(220330)
- Soccer & Society, Volume 23, 2022, Issue 3 | Female Fandom: A Global Perspective (220330)
- Journal of Physical Activity and Health, Volume 19, 2022, Issue 3 (220331)