Prior to the 2013 EASM conference, young sport management researchers will have the opportunity to join a seminar solely for doctoral students. Purposes are to strengthen international networking, improve research designs and engage in fruitful discussions with fellow PhD. students. Internationally well-regarded senior scholars of our field such as Packianathan Chelladurai (USA), Holger Preuss (Germany), Veerle De Bosscher (Belgium) and Berit Skirstad (Norway) will join as key lecturers.
Via the conference webpage interested scholars can apply for participation, deadline is no later than 15th of June. Please download and submit the application form. Doctoral students who are found eligible for participation are supposed to submit and present a working paper of maximum 3.000 words during the seminar.
PhD Seminar, EASM 2013 Istanbul
10-11 September 2013
Venue: Marmara University, Anadoluhisari Campus/Lütfi Kirdar Conference Center
Position in the Educational System and Entrance Qualifications
This is a seminar within the field of sport management. Eligible are doctoral students, due to a special application form (see application form)
- The aim of the PhD seminar is to strengthen the ability of writing research articles for refereed journals in the field of sport management, with a focus on research design and relevance for the academic field.
- The student will develop an understanding of the position and the progress of sport management and its publications.
- The student will develop comprehensive skill in order to submit articles relevant for the field of sport management, and their publication traditions.
- have demonstrate knowledge of the rules for scientific publication in relation to sports management and to their own research subject;
- are able to present research in an accepted article form;
- evaluate relevant contemporary and future research designs and themes relevant for the development of sport management
See seminar program
- The seminar will be held in English, and – in general – related to a conference and paper presentations.
- The participant number is limited up to 25.
- No extra fees for participation, the participants have to cover their accommodation and travel costs. For accommodation options, please see the main page.
Ulrik Wagner, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
Assoc. Prof. Ibrahim Edin, email@example.com
PhD Seminar Program
Tuesday, September 10th:
- 9.00 – 9.50 Presentation/welcome
- 9.50 – 10.00 Small break
- 10.00 – 11.00 Packianathan Chelladurai, Troy University, USA: “Preliminary meta-reflections on Research Design and Theory in relation to the development of Sport Management” (historic development, trends and pitfalls, obstacles during the past and present – future perspectives)
- 11.00 – 11.15. Coffee Break
- 11.15 – 12.45. Paper presentations (3*30 min./parallel) – 6
- 13.00 – 14.00. Lunch
- 14.00 – 15.00. Holger Preuss, Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany and editor of the European Sport Management Quarterly: pending.
- 15.00 – 15.15. Coffee Break
- 15.15 – 17.15. Paper presentations (4*30 min./parallel) – 8
- 17.15 – 17.45. Young Reseachers´ Award: Introduction
- 19.00 – Joint dinner in town!
Wednesday, September 11th:
- 9.00 – 10.00. Veerle De Bosscher, Vrije Universiteit, Belgium: “Large data materials and cross-national comparative studies – how to handle the complexity? An example from the SPLISS project”.
- 10.00 – 10.15. Small break/coffee
- 10.15 – 11.45. Paper presentations (3*30 min./parellel) – 6
- 12.00 – 13.30. Lunch + networking
- 13.30 – 14.30. Berit Skirstad, Norwegian School of Sport Sciences and honorary member of EASM: “The relevance of sport studies and sport management research for other academic fields”.
- 14.30 – 15.00. Final summery, Diplomas etc.
- … transfer to EASM conference venue.
- 16.30 – 18.00. ESMQ Workshop: “Getting Published: How the Academic world works…”