The Journal of Sport Safety and Security is an open access online journal publishing research articles in all areas of sport safety and security. The journal aims to be a resource for educational partners, as well as practitioners, in the evolving field of sport security studies.
Published by: The University of Southern Mississippi and the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS4)
Frequency: Annually – manuscripts will be published online upon notification of acceptance.
The JSSS is an international peer-reviewed publication dedicated to the dissemination of knowledge created from theoretical and applied research studies in sport safety and security management.
The JSSS will be published annually. Areas of interest to this journal include (but not limited to):
- Crowd Management
- Event Operations
- Risk Management
- Emergency Management
- Stadium Operations
- Training and Exercise
- Business Continuity
- Venue Design
- Legal Issues
- Crisis Communication
- Facility Management
- Rob Ammon, University of South Dakota, Kinesiology and Sport Science, School of Education View biography
- Jim Riordan, Florida Atlantic University, Director, MBA in Sport Management Program, College of Business View biography
- Mark Zhang, Delaware State University, Associate Professor of Sport Management, Department of Sport Management View biography
- J.C. Kim, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Assistant Professor of Sport Administration, School of Administrative Science View biography
- Eric Schwarz, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia, Senior Lecturer in Sport Management, College of Sport and Exercise Science View biography
- John Grady, University of South Carolina, Associate Professor of Sport and Entertainment, Department of Sport and Entertainment Management View biography
- Gil Fried, University of New Haven, Professor and Chair of Management of Sport Industries, College of Business View biography
- Keith Still, Manchester Metropolitan University, Professor of Crowd Science View biography
- Doug Manning, University of Southern Mississippi, Assistant Professor of Sport Management, Department of Economic Development, Tourism, and Sport Management View biography
- Bill Squires, Columbia University, Adjunct Faculty, Sport Management, School of Continuing Education View biography
- Brian Crow, Slippery Rock University, Professor of Sport Management, Department of Sport Management View biography
- David Oliver, Western Kentucky University, Director of Environmental Health and Safety View biography
- Alison Crumpton, University of Southern Mississippi
Manuscript files (Microsoft Word format only) must be submitted electronically through the website portal.
Submissions must include a cover letter that provides:
Manuscripts must conform to the current edition of the American Psychological Association Manual. Each manuscript must be double-spaced, Times New Roman font size 12, and utilize one inch margins on the top, bottom, and sides. Number the pages and lines throughout the manuscript, including references.
Manuscripts must include an abstract of approximately 150 words.
Manuscript length, including tables and figures, should be 15-25 pages. Please include tables/figures throughout the main text where they should be inserted in the manuscript.
Authors are responsible for obtaining permission to reproduce copyrighted information and materials. Submitting a manuscript indicates the author(s) agree(s) to the transfer copyright to the Journal of Sport Safety and Security.
The editor-in-chief will review all manuscripts upon receipt to determine appropriateness. Once the topic and style are deemed appropriate, manuscripts are forwarded to three reviewers with relevant expertise for blind review. The JSSS board strives to notify authors of review decisions within ninety days. Each manuscript will be classified as either: