The Transnational Working Group for the Study of Gender and Sport invites scholars from the field of gender research in sport to the annual meeting in Bochum, Germany. Founded in 2005, the group aims for a transnational and interdisciplinary exchange of researchers who have a major interest in the study of sport and gender. This year the meeting will take place at the Faculty of Sport Sciences of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum in Germany.
Looking back on a long tradition of theoretical and empirical studies of sexism and gender discrimination, gender equity and gender construction in sport, we invite researchers from different countries and scientific communities to discuss past, present and future perspectives, challenges and opportunities in the field of gender research in sport and sport studies. As a point of departure for this year’s discussions, we would like to propose the following perspectives and topics :
Socio-cultural perspectives of gender and sport, e.g.
- Gender constructions in urban sport cultures
- Transgender and intersex athletes in sport
- Meanings and impact of gender in disability sport
- Impact of current migration processes in Europe on gender relations in sport
Economic and organizational perspectives of gender and sport, e.g.
- Professional sport careers of female athletes – opportunities and problems
- Characteristics of migration processes of female elite athletes
- Gendered marketing of sport
- Impact of increasing numbers of women in sport on the organization of sport
Political perspectives of gender and sport, e.g.
- Impact of sport development programs on gender equity in sport
- Gender main streaming in sport associations
However, we invite scholars to present papers on other topics, e.g. on results from their current studies and projects.
Since the Transnational Working Group for the Study of Gender and Sport is devoted to the mentoring of young scholars, we encourage early stage researchers to present their projects.
For abstract submission (max. 500 words), please use email address email@example.com. The deadline is August 15th, 2016.