British Sociology Association Sport Study Group – Teaching Workshop, 23 February 2018
Innovation Centre, University of Northampton, NN1 1SY
- Ian Jones, Bournemouth University
- Aarti Ratna, Leeds Beckett University
- Jason Arday, University of Roehampton
Following the success and popularity of last year’s research and teaching workshop, the BSA Sport Study Group is staging another event, focusing specifically on the challenges in teaching sociology on sport programmes. This is an opportunity to meet with staff teaching the sociology of sport across the UK, share ideas and good practice.
10:00 – Arrival and coffee
10:30 – Welcome from BSA Sport Study Group Chair: Mark Doidge, University of Brighton
10:45 – Talk 1: The future of sociology in sport degree programmes: Ian Jones, Bournemouth University
11:15 – Talk 2: De-colonising the sociology of sport curriculum: Aarti Ratna, Leeds Beckett University & Jason Arday, University of Roehampton
11:45 – Discussion
12:15 – Lunch
13:00 – Introduction to afternoon workshops: Jim Lusted, University of Northampton
13:15 – Interactive workshops:
- Teaching for and about social justice in sociology of sport(Joanne Hill, University of Bedfordshire)
- Mentoring issues in sociology of sport (Jon Dart, Leeds Beckett University)
- Using online learning tools in sociology of sport (Jim Lusted, University of Northampton)
- Practical ways to de-colonise the sport curriculum (Aarti Ratna, Leeds Beckett University)
14:15 – Coffee break
14:30 – Interactive Workshops (continued)
15:30 – Review, closing comments and future BSA Sport Study Group events
For further information please contact Jim Lusted.
- BSA Member – £40
- BSA Concessionary Member – £25
- Non-Member Member – £55
- Full-time Student Non-member – £40
We are unable to reimburse your travel expenses so you will need to obtain support from your institutions to cover travel to attend.
If you would like to participate, please apply as soon as possible as there are limited places.