Founded in 1995 in Nice, France the European College of Sport Science (ECSS) is a sport scientific society dedicated to the collection, generation and dissemination of scientific knowledge at the European level.
Objective & Purpose
The European College of Sport Science (ECSS) is the leading association of sport scientists at the European level and maintains extensive co-operations with corresponding non-European associations. The purpose of the ECSS is the promotion of science and research, with special attention to sport science across Europe and beyond. Its topics include the motivation, attitudes, values and responses, adaptation, performance and health aspects of people engaged in physical activity and the relation of physical activity and lifestyle to health, prevention and ageing. These topics are investigated on an interdisciplinary basis.
The ECSS is a non-profit organisation. It supports European institutions, such as the European Union and the Council of Europe, by offering scientific advice and assistance for coordinated European and worldwide research projects defined by these bodies. In addition it serves as the most important European network of sport scientists from all relevant sub-disciplines.
The ECSS articles of association contain the ECSS Charter and the ECSS By-laws. Articles of association record such information as the college’s name, its registered seat and the number of members of the ECSS Boards.
The purpose of the European College of Sport Science (ECSS) is the promotion of Sport Science in an international, multi-cultural, multidisciplinary, as well as interdisciplinary context.
- ECSS recognizes that scientific excellence in Sport Science is based on disciplinary competence embedded in the understanding that its essence lies in its multi- and interdisciplinary character.
- ECSS regards Sport Science as the integrator of knowledge of human movement as seen by natural sciences, medicine, social sciences, and the humanities.
- ECSS addresses the application of Sport Science knowledge to sports competition, performance, improving health, well-being, fitness, and social relationships.
- ECSS represents and connects Sport Scientists in their research and supports dissemination of knowledge through the European Congress of Sport Science and the European Journal of Sport Science.
- ECSS identifies and honours young scientists with outstanding achievements in any field of Sport Science. ECSS provides scientific advice to the public and to political and private institutions.
- ECSS is associated with institutional partners, and commercial partners that value scientific evidence in the design and distribution of products supporting sport activities.