We invite you to consider presenting at the 2021 Summit on Communication and Sport. The International Association for Communication and Sport (IACS) Summit is the only stand-alone conference for communication researchers interested in exploring sport from diverse critical, methodological, and multi-disciplinary perspectives. The Summit on Communication and Sport welcomes submissions from all methodological and theoretical perspectives. This year’s summit will be completely virtual, with all papers, panels, and (new this year) poster presentations being hosted on a digital platform. Details on the digital platform will be provided over the next few months.
Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on Friday, November 13, 2020. The submission site will open in mid-October. An announcement will be sent by October 15, with a link to the submission site.
- Evaluation: All submissions will be evaluated through a blind peer review process.
- Decision Deadline: Author(s) of accepted submissions will receive email notification on approximately Friday, December 17, 2020.
- Author Limits: A maximum of two (2) paper or panel submissions from a single author will be considered for presentation, regardless of author order. In addition, an author can submit one poster presentation. Poster presentations will be pre-recorded and uploaded to the digital platform. Papers and panels will be live presentations held on the digital platform. *The submission limit includes any panels and papers carried over from 2020.
- Panel Information: Research and panel sessions are one hour and fifteen minutes long. Research sessions will be constructed to allow for at least 15 minutes of discussion following the presentations.
- Scholars interested in submitting to the 2021 Summit have two options: (1) an extended abstract submission; or (2) a panel discussion submission. For the extended abstract submission, authors can indicate if they would prefer to submit their research as a paper or poster presentation.
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another journal or conference. The following paper categories are welcome:
- Abstract submissions may not exceed 500 words (excluding references) in length and should be prepared for blind review (clear of any identifying information about the author(s).
- Panel discussions must focus on an interactive discussion format, with a clearly defined theme. Submissions must include a title, a description of up to 250 words explaining the focus and rationale, and a list of all panelists’ institutional or professional affiliation.
- Top Student Paper: IACS will recognize the Top Student Paper submitted to the Summit. For award consideration, a full-length manuscript must be submitted to the review committee by Friday, February 5th, 2021. Students must submit an abstract of their work at the November deadline. Recognition of Top Student Paper will be determined by blind review of the submission.
- Review Information: There is only one extended abstract submission – there will not be separate review criteria for works-in-progress and completed papers. All should be submitted as extended abstracts and will be judged using the same criteria.
- Reviewers will be selected from self-nomination through the submission process. Reviewers must have, at minimum, a completed Master’s degree in a field associated with the focus of IACS. Reviewers must identify their area of reviewing expertise (quantitative methodology, qualitative methodology, mixed methods, rhetorical/critical).
- All research submissions will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of thesis; definition of problem
- Theoretical perspective
- Background; review of the literature
- Research questions/hypotheses or qualitative/rhetorical argument
- Appropriateness of methodology
- Submission Agreement By submitting an abstract or panel to the 2021 Summit on Communication and Sport, you understand that your submission enters you into an obligation to attend the virtual Summit. At least one author listed on the paper must attend the Summit. If you cannot be there to present, it is your responsibility to secure one of your other authors to present you work. Please be conscientious that last-minute cancellations prevent others from being invited to the Summit to present their work.
List of Topics
- Qualitative Research
- Quantitative Research
- Mixed Methods
- Dr. Ann Pegoraro, Chair IACS
- Dr. Evan Frederick, Vice-Chair IACS
- Dr. Karen Hartman, Executive Director IACS
For conference events inquiries, please contact Dr. Ann Pegoraro email@example.com or Dr. Karen Hartman firstname.lastname@example.org
All questions about submissions should be emailed to Dr. Evan Frederick email@example.com